Friday, March 7, 2008

Heading to OKC

Sorry I've taken this long to update the blog. I wanted to inform family and friends personally before "going public".

I called the Office of Personnel Management several times late last week and early this week checking the status on my security and medical clearances. I eventually got an email back saying my security cleared but they were waiting on my medical. I took the initiative to find out if there was anything I could do to speed the process up. I was given the number to the southern region, where my medical paperwork would be, and asked if they had my clearance. I got work that I was medically cleared about a week after the PEPC in Jacksonville. I informed them that OPM didn't get the clearance and asked if they could call them and send them that information. It was about an hour later when I got the call stating that I was cleared for OKC and will be reporting for the March 31st class. My girlfriend was with me when I got this news and we were both very excited as we had just gotten back from Portland. I took her along to see the city and whatnot. I was also there to visit the facility and meet some of my future co-workers and manager.

I was and still am ecstatic! I drafted my separation notices with my 3 employers and reconfirmed that I would be receiving a final offer of employment.

TANGENT- Back in December I requested to take my full 2 weeks of vacation starting March 14th. It still hadn't been approved. I kept calling the main office demanding I receive an answer to if my vacation was approved or denied. It was finally approved. Once I had it in writing I made my end date March 22nd. My last working day March 14th.
With Air Wisconsin I submitted my 2 week notice my last day working minus shift switches being March 16th.
Racine Commercial Airport March 22nd.

END TANGENT

On March 6th I received my final offer via email, and had to submit 18 pages of paperwork, some of which I had filled out 4 or 5 times prior. The one piece of paperwork that made all of this hit home and made me realize that it was really happening was my W-4 form for taxes and my direct deposit form.

It was at this time I called my dad. He was the first one to know. I haven't seen my father this happy since I graduated for college, high school, and when I recorded my first and only shutout against Escanaba. It was about 2 in the afternoon and we met up at a bar close to where I live and had a few beers, talked about what my plans were and gave him details as to what was happening. I also called and told my mom who I could tell was also very proud and happy that I finally caught a break.

Personal Tangent-
I want to say that my life, or life for that matter is not easy, I had created most of my own pain and strife due to bad decisions in the workforce. I thought ever since high school I was destined to become a police officer. I had tried and tried and tries to get on, turned a position down because it was too far away from home at one time. Gotten close with others but was always haunted by my piss poor work history. Only in the last few years have I shaped up and treated every job I had as if it were my last and became more responsible. I'm very prod of myself that I have finally earned thru self perseverance a career which I will spend the remainder of my adult life learning and growing in. I lucky to have gotten into something I enjoy and will enjoy when the day is over.

End tangent-

My work was just beginning I still had a lot to do in a short amount of time. The first thing is finding my cousin a new roommate to complete the lease at our apartment. At the same time I was struggling to find a roommate for myself when I get to OKC. Fortunately I caught a break via one of the networking websites I belong to. I have a place to stay which is going to be cheaper than any of the other FAA housing places. Everywhere I had called didn't have anything until the end of April. I have a place as soon as I arrive on the 28th to get settled.
That's really all I have to update at this time. I'm going to get on the ball with this blog and update it daily with my activities at OKC in the hope that it will help others who will follow.

No comments: