Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Next Step in the Process

I called the Aviation Careers division today to check the status of my tentative offer. In doing so I had more questions answered. I advised them that I have flight benefits with US Airways and could go to the next step in the process at anytime wherever it may be held. I was advised that they could squeeze me into the Pre-Employment Processing Center (PEPC) in Jacksonville, FL on Thursday Feb 14th 2007. They also told me that I "could complete the PEPC and get an order to report to OKC within 5 days" which would put me in the March 3rd class. I would also get a copy of my tentative offer at that time.

Upon hearing this news I immediately called my employer to advise them that I needed off work for two days in order to fly to Jacksonville. As of right now it looks like they are going to work with me. In the past getting vacation or a day off was like pulling teeth so I'll see how that goes.
The tentative offer is my golden ticket to a facility visit at PWM. I am really anxious to go out there for a day for 3 reasons. To see the facility which I will be working, scope out potential apartments close to the airport, and to get a good look at Portland.

I'm still very nervous about the PEPC. I really have nothing to worry about per say, its just that there is nothing I can do to make myself look better on paper between now and then credit wise.
I'm nervous about the EKG reading they are going to take.
Anyhow, I have been doing some research on basic things I'll have to pay for once I get to Maine.

I'll have to surrender my Wisconsin drivers license for a Maine one ($40). I have to register my Mustang ($25). I have to transfer my insurance which is $150 less than what I'm paying here. I also looked up the cost of gas which is the same as it is here minus the ethanol. I also need to contact the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority to see if I can convert my IPASS to an EZ-PASS so I can use it on the Maine Turnpike and all the other major toll roads in the United States.

This past weekend I had a long conversation with my girlfriend as to what's going to happen with us when I leave. The decision was made that I will complete OKC, move to Portland and start getting signed off on my positions. Once I get to Portland she will put her condo on the market and make preparations to move to Portland. She did express that when we start a family the kids are to go to school back in the midwest. This gives me plenty of time to get my CPC and put in for a transfer. You never know though maybe we will both like it in Portland. Only time will tell.

Today I was scoping out the job market for here in the area. I noticed that US Airways is hiring for part-time customer service agents. This would be a great opportunity for both of us to reestablish flight benefits to come back whenever possible to visit.

No comments: